[HOW TO] Import models into 3D World Studio

If you have a model that does not move or doesn't require being an entity, then you can convert it into a model that 3D World Studio can use in your map. It very much helps workflow if you're making a room with props.

1) Make a folder anywhere, and put a B3D file and it's textures inside it. (I think it takes OBJ as well, but don't hold me to that)

2) Go to "Program Files (x86)/3D World Studio" and open "ConvertModels.exe". Navigate to the folder you made, and click Ok. Then click cancel, as it won't tell you it's done it or not.

3) Go to your folder and you'll find an SMF file.

4) Put the SMF in "Models/SCP" and put the textures in "Materials/SCP"

Then you can place it in your map in 3D World Studio :)

NOTE
If the scale is wrong, select the model, go to Edit -> Properties -> Matrix and change the scale-values.
Last edited by InnocentSam on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

Re: [HOW TO] Import models into 3D World Studio

Question: The .jpg file miscsigns is a crammed-together collection of informal signs with no assorted model. Let's say I wanted to use the Maintenance Tunnel sign in 3D Studio. Would I have to crop the image and make a model for the sign, or is there a less dirty way?

I know that in the game, a program automatically crops the sign for its usage when the room generates. I just wish to know if I have access to a similar luxury, except in a static form.
[SCP-076] "Able"
[SCP-127] "The Living Gun"
[SCP-212] "The Improver"
[SCP-303] "The Doorman"
[SCP-1162] "A Hole in the Wall"

ZarHakkar wrote:Question: The .jpg file miscsigns is a crammed-together collection of informal signs with no assorted model. Let's say I wanted to use the Maintenance Tunnel sign in 3D Studio. Would I have to crop the image and make a model for the sign, or is there a less dirty way?

I know that in the game, a program automatically crops the sign for its usage when the room generates. I just wish to know if I have access to a similar luxury, except in a static form.
You click the "select subobject" button, and click on the surface you want the sign on. You get the sign texture up, and apply it. You can then resize, rotate, crop and stretch however you like. You may want to enable texture lock though, so that when you move the brush, it doesn't move the texture on it.
The second cube, next to the one already selected.
Twitter
Github Profile

Regalis wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:NOTE
You can't scale the model, so you have to get the scale of your model correct in fragMOTION/your modelling program.
Protip: Select the model, go to Edit -> Properties -> Matrix and change the scale-values. :)
Why on earth could they not just bind that ability to the standard click-and-drag scaling of brushes?! Cheers for the tip!
Twitter
Github Profile

Coupla more questions...
Is there any way to load a room from SCP:CB into 3DWS without it being a model? All the bits being edit-able, and stuff... Cause I need access to the office room models inside... You know, like desks and paper and lamps and such, to make rooms that seem more legit.
Also, dealing with the scaling, anyone know the actual scale values for the models of say, doors, in the game? Doorway dimensions, player height, etc..?
Pic related:
Spoiler
Door was tiny, so I had to scale it to 18.0, 13.0, 10.0, to make it fit in the hallway frame.
Also, it seems 3D Studio can load objects with .x format (which is what the door was).
[SCP-076] "Able"
[SCP-127] "The Living Gun"
[SCP-212] "The Improver"
[SCP-303] "The Doorman"
[SCP-1162] "A Hole in the Wall"