[V2.1] Green Stars [MAJOR + MINOR UPDATE]

What is Green Stars?

Green Stars is a small indie arcade game project I have been working on the last days.
You play on a small maze-like map with the task to collect as many stars as possible while
being chased by flying drones that can kill you just by touching you.
Oh, right, the game is based on Unity.

How does it work?

When you start the game, the star is in the centre of the map. Once collected, it
vanishes and reappears in a random chosen corner. Whenever the star is collected,
it teleports to an other position.

But the more stars you collect, the more drones will appear. The drones patrol the map on
a premade route. The first drone (1 star) moves at the "outer ring" of the map, the second
one (3 stars) patrols the centre and the third (5 stars) constantly changes between inner
and outer space.

Gameplay videos?

Not yet, if someone is interested, go ahead!

Can I download it?

Of course, here you go!

New in V2.0 and V2.1:

Code: Select all

- added a very basic main menu (the "help" function doesn't do anything yet, that's gonna be added in another update)
- a lot of additions to the environment (no layout changes)
- darkened down the map a bit and temporarily disabled the lightmap
- added new music tracks by Kevin MacLeod
- added a texture for the drones (not looking very good at the moment, might get improved later)
- a small addition to the start of the game (you will hear it)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- added a looping sound effect for the drones
- added a new icon for the stand-alone
- a small addition to the main menu
What's coming in V3.0:

- a shield item (protects the player from a drone once)
- additions/improvements to the main menu and game over screen
Last edited by Akatos on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?

Re: Green Stars | An indie game project by Akatos

Dude, pretty entertaining for a small project!

Are you gonna keep expanding it on? If you were able to go higher (as in not only horizontal movement anymore), it'd be so great, things like portals, new behaviour-types of drones, etc etc could definitely make it a lot more interesting.

Or something along the lines of rotating the enviorement so you end up walking on walls and ceilings, imagine that.

Only thing that bothers me is that it currently lacks an art style, it feels very plain currently.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Irontaco wrote:Dude, pretty entertaining for a small project!
Thank you.
Irontaco wrote:Are you gonna keep expanding it on? If you were able to go higher (as in not only horizontal movement anymore), it'd be so great, things like portals, new behaviour-types of drones, etc etc could definitely make it a lot more interesting.

Or something along the lines of rotating the enviorement so you end up walking on walls and ceilings, imagine that.
Indeed I plan to continue working on the game for some time, but honestly I'd say a rotating environment and things like that are out of my league at the time.

However, I do like the idea of having different type of drones with different behaviours. Maybe one drone that hovers over the map and shoots at the play so you'd have to constantly keep moving and wouldn't be able to camp in the corner anymore.

But for now I'm going to focus on making a proper main menu and some visual improvements to the environment, then I'll see if I can work on some things to make the game a bit more action-packed and varied. When I'm back I'll see if I find the time to work on an update.
IdiotMillion wrote:This seems like a pretty decent project, I hope you some luck on it...
Thanks!
Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?

It's been a while, but I'm back and our internet works again.

Anyway, I'd really like to add some new stuff to this game but I'm not quite sure if I find the time in the next days (august 22 is my birthday). So it may take some time until an update comes out, but it's highly likely I will get around working on it later.

I kinda hate to doublepost this again, but I just worked a bit on the game and thought why not bring out a minor update before I can finally start working on a bigger one.

Changes in V1.1:

- the path of the third drone has been overworked a bit (hopefully it won't clip into walls as much as before)
- added a sound effect that plays when a new drone spawns
- the stars slowly move up and down now
- (experimental) changed the skybox to be in the night
Also take a look into the changelog in the game files to see the planned features for V2.0!