096, The Guards and The Monitor

Okay, this is an idea I have to make 096 contribute more to the game then just sit on the floor like a statue waiting to be seen. This is extensive so be warned.

096 Spawn Positions: The first idea I have is that 096 should have random spawn positions which would add to the challenge of the game. For example, there could be three of them. The first one would be one of him facing the door that the player is at. The Second one could be his current position of facing the wall and the third could be of him facing the opposite door to the player. This would do one of three things, increase difficulty by increasing the percentage of 096's aggro state. So like if he is facing the wall, the odds of him becoming aggro is low. If he is facing the player, then its higher but not too high. If he is facing the opposite door to the player, then the aggro percentage would fall in the middle of the first two. Perhaps 20% chance if he is facing a wall, 40% chance if he is facing away from the player (since the player may have to face him head on if they return to the room from the other side) and 50% chance if he is facing directly at them.

Keep in mind that 096's head will always face the floor so unless the player looks at him, he won't go aggro. However, I have an alternative to this. ;)

If there is more varity desired even with this idea, then perhaps have 096 look up from time to time. It can be a rare activity he does but it would definately incentivise the player NOT to stay any longer in that room then they have to. Quite honestly, right now in the playthroughs I have seen, many players run right through that room without any worry. That would be a thing of the past with these ideas.

Possible Fourth Position for 096: What if 096 randomly and rarely spawns in the game to walk the eastern wall of the lock room? How frightening would that be? I would imagine that the odds of seeing his face would increase, possibly to a 60% chance. Also, it gives the player a new way to work through his room. Now the player would need to use timing to get past him. Time it right, you get to the other side. Time it wrong, well...game over. If this seems too difficult for Euclid setting then perhaps it could be a Keter only spawn. This would also incentivise players to play on Keter more if they knew that they would see different things on that setting. Sometimes, there needs to be more then just dying permantly.

096 Killing Guards: This has been mentioned already so I won't belabor the point. I will just add my specific ideas for it. I have two ideas for this. The first would have the player view the death of a guard from the monitor. They would see a guard enter the lockroom, immediately shoot 096. When he goes aggro, the guard would fire more rapidly until he is killed by 096. The player would never see the death since we don't want to destroy the lore but rather blood would cover the camera lens, sheilding the view from the player. The sounds of screams would come from the room.

Problem: There is one problem with this idea. The damaged door to the lockroom is seen on the ground, indicating that 096 tore his way into the room to kill whoever the blood on the floor belongs to. I have a solution, the door would have to be functional for this idea to work. This way the player won't be able to go in to see how the guard dies.

My second idea for the guards dying by 096 is my favorite but may be harder to implement into the game. In this scenario, the door is damaged and on the ground like it is now in the game. A guard enters the room, perhaps escaping something or following the player. The guard angers 096 and immediately runs out of the room. 096 goes aggro and follows. In the distance, one can hear the sounds of tearing of flesh and screams.

Problem: The problem that could happen with this scenario is that the player may decide to follow in order to witness the killing of the victim. So how do we have this play out without that happening? Make both the guard and 096 run faster then the player even if they have infinite sprint. They will eventually lose the player and then the sounds can play out in game as normal. The player should never see the killing and they should never see 096 returning to that room. I would suggest that he return to the room and not be in a new location since that could make it very difficult for the player if 096 ends up in a place that makes it hard to avoid him.

The Monitor: Okay, this is an obessive thing for me when it comes to 096 right now but it drives me crazy that the monitor serves nothing. Most players hear him long before they get there so it doesn't really serve anything other than to show him on the screen. I like it when everything has a useful purpose in a game. Well I have a solution for that. Lets imagine that Regalis implemented every idea I just suggested. Well looking at the monitor would be the wisest thing any player could do when they approach 096's room. If 096 is facing the door, well you wouldn't want to go walking up and finding out with your own eyes. Looking in the monitor would give you a heads up as to what position he is in. Like if he is sitting or standing or where is he facing while sitting. That sort of thing. The monitor would also be a double edge sword if the occasional look-around is implemented. It could meanthat one could look in the monitor and trigger his aggro state if he happens to be looking up at the time. However, this look-around would be rather rare though. I don't think it should be something done all fo the time. Its just something to add variety to the game so that there is no one way to make him aggro.

Okay, well those are all of my ideas for 096. Whether or not they are ever used is not the goal of this thread but instead to get our minds thinking of other possiblities for such a great character. Anyway, I look forward to see what your ideas are also if you think that any of these ideas are useful enough to be included in game. Thanks :)

Re: 096, The Guards and The Monitor

I agree with all of these suggestions, especially the monitor idea. I think someone had an idea of seeing an NPC run past the player with 096 close behind, chasing him into his lockroom. That would certainly let you know where 096's room is located along with showing the player his abilities.
ey b0ss, can I habe de pussi plz?

I was re-reading the SCP-096 article on the SCP-wiki, and it said that it spends most of it's time pacing its cell. Maybe SCP-096, after the first encounter, should spend all of its time wandering around the facility, mumbling and either holding its head or just doing something with its hands (though the current animations for the SCP are allright, I still think that the original creator can improve them quite a bit ;) ). Anyway, I'm drowning you guys with suggestions and not contributing anything, I'll stop talking now :P

Prune wrote:I agree with all of these suggestions, especially the monitor idea. I think someone had an idea of seeing an NPC run past the player with 096 close behind, chasing him into his lockroom. That would certainly let you know where 096's room is located along with showing the player his abilities.
Wow really? That sounds cool too. That way we get back story has to how 096 got into the lock room in the first place. I like that idea.

B1gB4ddy wrote:I was re-reading the SCP-096 article on the SCP-wiki, and it said that it spends most of it's time pacing its cell. Maybe SCP-096, after the first encounter, should spend all of its time wandering around the facility, mumbling and either holding its head or just doing something with its hands (though the current animations for the SCP are allright, I still think that the original creator can improve them quite a bit ;) ). Anyway, I'm drowning you guys with suggestions and not contributing anything, I'll stop talking now :P
I thought about having 096 wander around but the problem would be that he would see the player much too easy and it could trap the player in certain locations on the map. There are just too many dangerous SCPs out there that could make the game too difficult if he did wander. However, I would find that terrifying to say the least. XD

I don't think that 096 should be a free-roaming enemy. However, I agree that it should be more difficult to not see his face while in his lockroom. 096 should pace around in this room so that it is harder for the player to avoid seeing his face. Though the player could currently hold down the space bar and sprint through the room, if he were actively moving around in the lockroom the player could bump into 096, which would be disorientating (not to mention absolutely terrifying) and might force the player to open their eyes for a moment to get out of the room, thus making 096 an actual obstacle in the game instead of just a toy to play around with.
Battling the forces of evil and stupidity~
I admire the horror genre like I admire women: From far away with a pair of binoculars

YellowFellow wrote:I don't think that 096 should be a free-roaming enemy. However, I agree that it should be more difficult to not see his face while in his lockroom. 096 should pace around in this room so that it is harder for the player to avoid seeing his face. Though the player could currently hold down the space bar and sprint through the room, if he were actively moving around in the lockroom the player could bump into 096, which would be disorientating (not to mention absolutely terrifying) and might force the player to open their eyes for a moment to get out of the room, thus making 096 an actual obstacle in the game instead of just a toy to play around with.
Agreed. I hope he has one other definitive spawn point other than the modified lock room. Perhaps several offices outside his chamber.
It slep time bunner.

I think 096 should be free roaming in some closed doors room walking around, but he cannot be sentient enough to press buttons himself intelligently, he just calmly walks around yowling and if a doors open and he happens to walk through it, it's good. He should randomly sit down and stand up too as well I think. When he's not in containment he actually slowly tries to gently make his way back to his home habitat..

Mirocaine wrote:I think 096 should be free roaming in some closed doors room walking around, but he cannot be sentient enough to press buttons himself intelligently, he just calmly walks around yowling and if a doors open and he happens to walk through it, it's good. He should randomly sit down and stand up too as well I think. When he's not in containment he actually slowly tries to gently make his way back to his home habitat..
Definitely only in a few closed rooms, maybe he found his way there and 079 ended up shutting a door behind him, leaving him as you said unable to escape as he isn't intelligent enough to use the buttons. I heavily agree with the sitting down and stuff. Also, maybe he fumbles a bit with his hands or inspects something calmly like that. Also, I think his mouth needs to move with the calm babbling he makes before you anger him, and get rid of that weird drum noise when it starts (just doesn't fit.) Otherwise capital ideas mate!
When going into the unknown, always know what you know abouts what's not known about the unknown known.

RADICAL LORD

So you guys do favor 096 being in a new location, only he needs to be in a closed room? That makes sense. Originally I was thinking that he may end up in a hall or the tunnel or something and that would make it too difficult so I dismissed the idea. However I see great possibilites in him ending up in different areas of the map within closed rooms. It would certainly keep the player on their toes since they never know where they may face him. Perhaps it would be 2 or 3 locations he could possibly end up in.