A reason to interact with more SCPs

There are many awesome SCPs in this game, and I love how much content there is. Sometimes however, we may not see much of several of them. I know that is the main idea, but each one could perhaps have its 'section' of the game, giving it more depth. Each time you play the game, you can get different SCPs in different orders, depending on where you go through the facility. Allow me to elaborate with two examples...

SCP-008 - A small scripted sequence could show the player walking up to it and getting cut by the shard of glass. Then, regular gameplay resumes and you basically have to find a cure before it is too late, the cure being SCP-500. You could find this out with another scripted sequence where the player picks up and reads the SCP-008 article.

NOTE - This one is of course avoidable if you wear the hazmat suit.

SCP-513 - I have already posted in another thread how I think it is a shame how avoidable this SCP is, since it's so cool and spooky, and many newbies would never get to see it by not ringing the bell. Instead, I propose this - When you enter it's containment chamber, a scripted sequence plays (MOAR SCRIPTED SEQUENCE!!), where the player approaches the bell, picks it up themselves, looks around, and rings it. Shortly after, you will see SCP-513-1, and text or something would pop up saying "What the hell was that?" A second time, it could say. "Wait... the bell! I have to find a way to destroy it...". So you don't have to go all the way back through the facility to SCP-914, (and I think many players want this for other things too), there could be a shortcut of an elevator that can only be operated when you are around that level of the game. By that, I mean it could say something like "It is locked" at the start.

These are the two SCPs that I honestly think could do with something like this. A short cutscene for each SCP would be great too, as it could sort of 'introduce them'. I hope you liked my suggestions. Discuss :D
Last edited by Skin_ on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: A reason to interact with more SCPs

spartan322 wrote:
Skin_ wrote: Very true, I don't believe I was really thinking when I wrote this :P
Replace cutscene with scripted sequence.
Same thing. You want as little cutscenes or scripted events as possible. Scripted events are things that tend to bother players when they want immersion.
I wouldn't say so. I have seen a lot of requests for scripted events around here (usually involving 682).

Skin_ wrote: I wouldn't say so. I have seen a lot of requests for scripted events around here (usually involving 682).
Hmm, you got a point then. Then again, it would depends on how the scenes are made. The best way should be that it makes the player feel like he has some control even though he has none. However, if the scene could be made into actual gameplay, that would be preferably.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

spartan322 wrote:
Skin_ wrote: I wouldn't say so. I have seen a lot of requests for scripted events around here (usually involving 682).
Hmm, you got a point then. Then again, it would depends on how the scenes are made. The best way should be that it makes the player feel like he has some control even though he has none. However, if the scene could be made into actual gameplay, that would be preferably.[/]

Ah, well that's what my description of a 'scripted event is': they differ from cutscenes because they happen around the player, mostly. There ARE already a few of what I would call a 'scripted event' in the game. To name one, the current sucky 682 sequence, or an even better example, 173's great escape!

Throughout the facility I've noticed these electric boxes have been placed in some SCP containment rooms. Maybe if they were given a legit purpose, such as turning them on to restore back-up power to the facility and restricting 079's hold on the site, we might have a proper purpose to interact with SCPs 008, 012, 895, 049 and 372. It still doesn't make 1025 and 513 any useful, but at least most of the pointless ones have value.
ey b0ss, can I habe de pussi plz?

Prune wrote:Throughout the facility I've noticed these electric boxes have been placed in some SCP containment rooms. Maybe if they were given a legit purpose, such as turning them on to restore back-up power to the facility and restricting 079's hold on the site, we might have a proper purpose to interact with SCPs 008, 012, 895, 049 and 372. It still doesn't make 1025 and 513 any useful, but at least most of the pointless ones have value.
How does giving power to the facility give 079 less hold on the site? Surely more power = more areas to access for it.

And turning on the lights is possible, but may look a bit weird, as the fog and brightness is handled by code but the map's lighting is dealt with (no shit!) by the map.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

InnocentSam wrote:
Prune wrote:Throughout the facility I've noticed these electric boxes have been placed in some SCP containment rooms. Maybe if they were given a legit purpose, such as turning them on to restore back-up power to the facility and restricting 079's hold on the site, we might have a proper purpose to interact with SCPs 008, 012, 895, 049 and 372. It still doesn't make 1025 and 513 any useful, but at least most of the pointless ones have value.
How does giving power to the facility give 079 less hold on the site? Surely more power = more areas to access for it.

And turning on the lights is possible, but may look a bit weird, as the fog and brightness is handled by code but the map's lighting is dealt with (no shit!) by the map.
In that case you could do it to possibly access gate B, or maybe if you entered 079's chamber before flicking the remote door control he would ask you to restore power to the boxes, this way you could access a new ending or something.
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.