Re: MODELING REQUESTS: SCP-860-1 (The Forest)

I can do its voice, if you'd like; the one in the article is mine, after all, heh~

You know, I had always tought of the monster as human sized, but it actually looks way more intimidating twice the size of a normal human. Really liked that.
UnbeknownstWatcher wrote:I don't think it should be too aggressive, there was a D-class woman who went M.I.A. but survived when she followed the voices that called her.
What makes you think it was the monster that called her? I mean who knows what else lives in there :V
Creator of SCP-345, SCP-700, SCP-860 and SCP-966.

What colour will the creature be?

Enma, by the way, i have to tell you that your SCP was really amazing to read, i spent hours thinking about it, and the only SCP articles that have made me do that is 106 (And most of the tales about him.), 087, 096, and Clef's version of 001. You deserve tacos.

Good work on the model Miro, you're getting a lot better at modelling, you also deserve tacos. How about some kind of 'peeking at you curiously from behind a tree' animation if he's too close to you?
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Enma Ai wrote:I can do its voice, if you'd like; the one in the article is mine, after all, heh~

You know, I had always tought of the monster as human sized, but it actually looks way more intimidating twice the size of a normal human. Really liked that.
Yeah =) if you want to do the voice lines that'd be great, Soundcloud is a good place to upload them as well; I thought the monster would be more 'intimidating' if I sized it up to be bigger than the player (sub-consciously if something is taller/bigger than you it makes you feel a bit more threatened due to survival instinct). I've been following SoTC's technique for fur and it's so far coming along well, I'll send you pictures as soon as I get these layers + normal mapping looking right.

Omniary wrote:I made a bunch of howling noises similar to the one on the article quite a while back.

They're on my soundcloud account, so you can check it out.
Wow :O I can't believe I missed these before, they sound perfect for the howling + grunts for the monster. I like the forest theme as well, gives a feeling of a whole new world dimension, which is closer to my gameplay wise vision of it being a break from the facility and suddenly feeling surprising once you may actually manage to get out alive.

I really want to make a terrain 'room' system for the forest instead of just a pre-defined path and map piece, with randomly generating tree spawns, rocks, [REDACTED], monster, etc etc. This would also allow the player to wander off the path into the forest and bring up the more flexible ability for sudden path splits/forks and treeline blocks and other crazy sudden things.

Enma Ai wrote: What makes you think it was the monster that called her? I mean who knows what else lives in there :V
So...multiple creatures in The Forest? I like that idea :D
Microcaine wrote: I really want to make a terrain 'room' system for the forest instead of just a pre-defined path and map piece, with randomly generating tree spawns, rocks, [REDACTED], monster, etc etc. This would also allow the player to wander off the path into the forest and bring up the more flexible ability for sudden path splits/forks and treeline blocks and other crazy sudden things.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x 1,000,000,000

I would hate to have a predetermined path for 860, this needs a random generator!! :mrgreen:

UnbeknownstWatcher wrote:I would hate to have a predetermined path for 860, this needs a random generator!! :mrgreen:
Yes =) I actually drew up some derp example images of how this system would work in Paint:

The forest in 'Room' tiles just like the Facility, but are seamless by elevation + texture, along with randomly spawning trees + doodads (2 trees limited per room tile (?)):
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n350 ... 0a1b30.png

Fog and Player FOV example along with how a path can split into different types:
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n350 ... 649c73.png

So basically there's 3 sets of room tiles:

1). The path room tiles (this includes cobble paths, other path types and path splits/forks) [Blue]
2). The off-forest path room tiles (Will have randomly spawning tree's and Doodads, as well as other random spawns). [Red]
3). The Infinite concrete wall and exit + entrance [Green]

There's different room tile types for each of the 3 (to avoid repetitiveness) but they each match seamlessly by the same elevation height at the edges. Randomly spawning tree's and other miscellaneous objects also help add a lot of random variety. I don't think lag is too much of a worry as the players view can only see a few tiles away thanks to the fog (anything outside of the fog isn't rendered). The monster spawns randomly somewhere in the forest as well (perhaps after a timer? Or it may only spawn at a minimum of 10 room tiles away from the player).

I think the creature should sense the player more if they run in the forest, hence to avoid them just sprinting from Point A - B just straight on the path, the creature could also wander onto the path or something and the player could try to go off path to sneak around it. It is possible that there may be a sudden end to the path by a block off a tree's as well, causing the player to have to purposely wander a bit to find the rest of the path out.

Thoughts?