Call for a new game engine

Greetings fellow forumer's

As you all know I'm back, I have a new PC (albeit the bad news being it's a Mac OS -> meaning I can't personally play SCP:CB anymore without bootcamp & Windows 7) also another reason I'd like to add below to the topic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel that CB being 1 year old now, should move to a new game Engine suitable for better graphical rendering and flexibility. The game itself is a great idea as a randomly-generated modular Survival Horror, based on the Creepypasta SCP Foundation articles and universe. Yet still being confined to the low-end Blitz3d/BlitzMAX engine is holding back a lot of potentially more quality.

Answer42 has been working on a "Custom Built" C++ engine for SCP:CB, however it's taking a seemingly considerable amount of time, as no doubt most of us as Students (and those confined to mandatory military service) are busy with classes and other life projects.

That's why I would like to seriously suggest the entire forum (especially Senior Members and developers), as a Senate, look at picking a new engine soon.

Here I'd like to bring up a few points as to my opinion:

1). Video games right now are entering the "Next-Gen" with the PS4, Wii U and Xbox One. Company's have revved up new titles at they're announcement at just this years E3 2013, and there should be plenty more surprises in store next year at they're release.

2). Blitz3D is not compatible with a lot of OS's. Even on windows, it can be found that crashing/rendering errors are quite common.

3). With every more consecutive update to SCP:CB on Blitz3d, it just cements it more & more into the Blitz3d engine.

4). Another big example I'd like to cite is Titanfall's development team's quote on Engine choice. The developers chose not to create a 'Custom Engine' for the game, mainly because it would "Take too much time." They instead decided to use Valve's source engine and it still looks pretty damn good. If a AAA development team says it would take too long to make a custom engine, how could it go for SCP:CB?

5). As well, the developers of the SCP Game Site 37 are utilizing UDK engine with impressive results already so early in development.

I'd really like to do something or at least even plan something out right now. Dont gawk at the post, leave a comment/opinion please.
Last edited by Mirocaine on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Call for a new game engine

I really don't mind the "New Engine" Idea. I've seen several Indie games that greatly improved with it :D
However, we also have to consider that Regalis won't find the time for that just yet. I mean, he barely has any time to himself while he's in the army.

So personally, I'll eagerly await his return and maybe then remind him of the plus sides of a new game-engine.
My Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSerimah

Same as Serimah.
I'll be waiting for Regalis' opinion on choosing a new engine, though a new engine would give the possibility of faster development since more are able to use it.
What fun is there in making sense?
Now, if you will excuse me i have some chaos to wreak.
Resident forum robot monkey, and chaos incarnate.

Regalis will be back tomorrow by the way so we won't need to wait long for some kind of approval on a new engine. I also vote yes to a new engine because the current one is holding back so many possibilities for the game. I really like the Source engine and UDK engine; I wouldn't mind seeing those being tested to see which is better.
ey b0ss, can I habe de pussi plz?

Prune wrote:Regalis will be back tomorrow by the way so we won't need to wait long for some kind of approval on a new engine. I also vote yes to a new engine because the current one is holding back so many possibilities for the game. I really like the Source engine and UDK engine; I wouldn't mind seeing those being tested to see which is better.
Wait.. what? His time at the army is already over? Or do you mean his short breaks from it?

Serimah wrote:
Prune wrote:Regalis will be back tomorrow by the way so we won't need to wait long for some kind of approval on a new engine. I also vote yes to a new engine because the current one is holding back so many possibilities for the game. I really like the Source engine and UDK engine; I wouldn't mind seeing those being tested to see which is better.
Wait.. what? His time at the army is already over? Or do you mean his short breaks from it?
His military service is due to end on the 20th of June which is tomorrow, so the wheels of SCP: CB will roll again by tomorrow.
ey b0ss, can I habe de pussi plz?

Prune wrote:
Serimah wrote:
His military service is due to end on the 20th of June which is tomorrow, so the wheels of SCP: CB will roll again by tomorrow.

Ooooh, I didn't know that! Now I'm really really happy! *dancing around nekkid*

Regalis has made it clear that he chose Blitz3D because that's the engine he's comfortable with. Yes it's ancient, and does not support some newer features like... lights.

But the fact he's comfortable with it means more frequent updates. Besides, there's no real problem with the current engine. The only reason everyone is experiencing "Memory access violation" is because you're running Win 7/Vista with UAC on.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile