Re: Call for a new game engine

Awesomeguy147 wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:To state my position on this matter, I find it extremely unlikely that SCP:CB will see any engine change. Simply put there is no overriding need to change the engine aside from "better graphics".
Yeah I mean the only reason to think of is to get better gra... *Memory Access Violation*
Hoho passive aggression. Good tactic, though I do agree. Such problems aren't easily overlooked and are frowned upon by people who are new to the game and do not know how to fix them. I had a friend try out a mod of mine and he kept getting memory access violations.
The Red Menace

They way I see it, the only people who have the right to complain are the programmers, modellers, and anyone with an operating system that doesn't support Direct X. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone making a port right now, permission is not required to port an open source game. Regalis shouldn't have any incentive to port the game because it will murder any current development schedule he has. The only way I ever see a port being made is if someone else makes it (answer42 and risingstar64), even then, it takes months to get anything remotely close to the original. Personally, I'm indifferent to what engine Reg uses, I'm still able to work in the current one without too many repercussions. Sure I may have some issues with the language in question, but as Sam said, any decent programmer can still work with it and maintain good results. I can't say anything for the modellers, for all I know the engine may be nightmarish for them. But of course, everyone here seems to think that they are entitled to a 'superior engine' without really thinking about how fucking time consuming the transition period is. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly okay to think about how the game would run on a more sophisticated engine, but asking the guy who has done so much work to just port it because 'it looks better' is downright ignorant. You want a better engine? Then write the goddamn game on a better engine, rather than bitching at Reg to do it for your lazy ass.
/rant

tl;dr Quit being a bitch and do some work if you want a better game.
Last edited by MonocleBios on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-x dingus-mode

MonocleBios wrote:They way I see it, the only people who have the right to complain are the programmers, modellers, and anyone with an operating system that doesn't support Direct X. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone making a port right now, permission is not required to port an open source game. Regalis shouldn't have any incentive to port the game because it will murder any current development schedule he has. The only way I ever see a port being made is if someone else makes it (answer42 and risingstar64), even then, it takes months to get anything remotely close to the original. Personally, I'm indifferent to what engine Reg uses, I'm still able to work in the current one without too many repercussions. Sure I may have some issues with the language in question, but as Sam said, any decent programmer can still work with it and maintain good results. I can's say anything for the modellers, for all I know the engine may be nightmarish for them. But of course, everyone here seems to think that they are entitled to a 'superior engine' without really thinking about how fucking time consuming the transition period is. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly okay to think about how the game would run on a more sophisticated engine, but asking the guy who has done so much work to just port it because 'it looks better' is downright ignorant. You want a better engine? Then write the goddamn game on a better engine, rather than bitching at Reg to do it for your lazy ass.
/rant

tl;dr Quit being a bitch and do some work if you want a better game.
^This guy gets it.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

MonocleBios wrote:There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone making a port right now
We don't have the knowledge. That is what is stopping us. so we make a request. Mind you, I'm not begging or such. Leave that to anybody else, I just agree on the idea of a new engine.

InnocentSam wrote:Regalis has made it clear that he chose Blitz3D because that's the engine he's comfortable with. Yes it's ancient, and does not support some newer features like... lights.

But the fact he's comfortable with it means more frequent updates. Besides, there's no real problem with the current engine. The only reason everyone is experiencing "Memory access violation" is because you're running Win 7/Vista with UAC on.
Wait, what would happen if you ran it on compatibility mode on an older service pack? Which one would be optimal? This feels like trying to play Resident Evil 2 with the cutscenes and music working. But anyways there's actually not much wrong with the current engine because we get frequent ish updates and there are people converting it, it may take a while but it will get here.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Destructoid wrote: Wait, what would happen if you ran it on compatibility mode on an older service pack? Which one would be optimal?
Windows 2000 or XP usually works for me. I will put that in the Read-me of my mod.
The Red Menace

InnocentSam wrote:Yes, I usually use XP SP3 to fix MAV but I've found 2000 works in other cases.

Also, a solution to some random crashes that aren't MAV but still suck is to disable all other monitors if you have any.
Yeah.
The Red Menace

Ltn Vasquez wrote:
MonocleBios wrote:There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone making a port right now
We don't have the knowledge. That is what is stopping us. so we make a request. Mind you, I'm not begging or such. Leave that to anybody else, I just agree on the idea of a new engine.
I don't have the knowledge either. Blitz3D is pretty much the only engine/language I know well enough to make a game with it (knowing the basics of C++/C#/java isn't really enough to code something like SCPCB).
MonocleBios wrote:Regalis shouldn't have any incentive to port the game because it will murder any current development schedule he has. The only way I ever see a port being made is if someone else makes it (answer42 and risingstar64), even then, it takes months to get anything remotely close to the original. Personally, I'm indifferent to what engine Reg uses, I'm still able to work in the current one without too many repercussions. Sure I may have some issues with the language in question, but as Sam said, any decent programmer can still work with it and maintain good results. I can't say anything for the modellers, for all I know the engine may be nightmarish for them. But of course, everyone here seems to think that they are entitled to a 'superior engine' without really thinking about how fucking time consuming the transition period is. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly okay to think about how the game would run on a more sophisticated engine, but asking the guy who has done so much work to just port it because 'it looks better' is downright ignorant. You want a better engine? Then write the goddamn game on a better engine, rather than bitching at Reg to do it for your lazy ass.
This.

Many of you don't seem to realize how much work it would take to change the engine. I don't know if a year would be enough for me to do the port, even if I used something as easy to learn as Unity, and didn't have things like school and work to worry about. There's also the thing that I've been making SCPCB just for fun, I'm not making any money with it. Going through something as tedious as rewriting the entire game isn't really my idea of fun.

I do understand that I have to move away from Blitz3D at some point, but that's going to be with some other project than SCPCB. I've already spent so much time on it that I'm not starting everything from pretty much scratch again.

...But as MonocleBios said, the game is open source and the license allows anyone to modify and redistribute it. You don't even need my permission to port it to another engine. I'd be glad to see a well-made port, and hopefully Answer42's C++ conversion will become one eventually.