Re: How do I get started?

I don't see why not contributing to gameplay is such a terrible, bad thing here. I think having too many SCPs that remind you "Hey, you're in a game, this guy is gonna chase you for a bit, to scare you, you know," kind of dilutes the gameplay and makes the world feel shallow and stale. This is a horror game, but SCP isn't all about monsters, monsters and monsters, contrary to most peoples beliefs. That's why I think it's fun to include SCPs that don't necessarily appear everywhere, anytime but are there to add to the atmosphere of such a unique setting.

That said, I also believe it's nice to flesh out these additions to their fullest potential, otherwise they might feel shallow and stale. I think a handful of the BoH SCPs would make great additions. However, some of the others might need some work to fall within the same region.
It slep time bunner.

InnocentSam wrote:
Glitch wrote:
Abincyprus wrote:Off-topic: why didn't the box of horrors mod get merged into the original game? Lots of SCPs.
Because the game hasn't had a major update since BoH was released, and those SCPs contribute very little to actual gameplay.
SCP-012, SCP-1025, SCP-895, SCP-035, SCP-049, SCP-372, SCP-294...

An SCP that contributes little to gameplay is not a valid reason as to why it cannot be included in the original game.
So according to you, a bunch of rooms with useless objects where people can go "hey look at all dis cool crud", is preferred to having an actual horror game?
Interesting.
I'm not here as much right now, mention me on our Discord server if you need anything.

Glitch wrote: So according to you, a bunch of rooms with useless objects where people can go "hey look at all dis cool crud", is preferred to having an actual horror game?
Interesting.
I never said that, so if you stop pulling fictional points for your response, you'll find you're not thinking rationally. Your original point:
Glitch wrote: Because the game hasn't had a major update since BoH was released, and those SCPs contribute very little to actual gameplay.
Is essentially saying "BoH isn't good enough to be in the full game because it doesn't add much to actual gameplay," which is a hypocritical claim, because as I stated:
InnocentSam wrote: SCP-012, SCP-1025, SCP-895, SCP-035, SCP-049, SCP-372, SCP-294...
These are SCP's in SCP:CB that could be said to add no real gameplay value. So put 2 and 2 together, why is a mod that adds gameplay-lacking SCPs not suitable for a game that contains gameplay-lacking SCPs?

I expect an apology for the following comments you made, as they were derogatory and unnecessary:
Glitch wrote: So according to you, a bunch of rooms with useless objects *insulting mine and juanjpro's mod* where people can go "hey look at all dis cool crud", is preferred to having an actual horror game? *never made any such insinuation*
Interesting. *unnecessary sarcasm*
For a moderator, those are some pretty spiteful things to say.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

Ugh, I come here after a long break due to stupid drama, and now there's this thread with stupid drama because you need to be touchy about an opinion I made about not wanting SCPs that have no gameplay value.
InnocentSam wrote: SCP-012, SCP-1025, SCP-895, SCP-035, SCP-049, SCP-372, SCP-294...
These are SCP's in SCP:CB that could be said to add no real gameplay value. So put 2 and 2 together, why is a mod that adds gameplay-lacking SCPs not suitable for a game that contains gameplay-lacking SCPs?
So because there are already SCPs with no gameplay value, which Regalis is at least tempting to remedy so they have more function, that makes it okay to add more SCPs with no gameplay value? As another user stated, this game has enough useless SCPs as it is. What do you think SCP:CB is? A museum?

If you respond to this, do it in PM.
I'm not here as much right now, mention me on our Discord server if you need anything.

We have a lot of SCP's in game that is true, and yes there can be a problem with too many SCP's diluting the experience and making the game feel "gamey". But if someone wants to spend their time making a mod of whatever SCP they want, why should we decry that as a waste of time and useless? Mods that are made to a high quality, and add a SCP/mechanic that is well received and can add to the game get added at Regalis's discretion.

Let's keep the hostility to a minimum? Glitch, your a moderator and it would be expected that your behaviour reflect that position.

On topic, create whatever you want and showcase it, people will take note of it and it may get a chance of being added. Or at least enhance the game play, cause that's what mods are for.
SCP:CB Administrator. 99% of my statements are my own and do not represent the official developers viewpoint.

Omniary wrote:-Snip-
While I do agree that an SCP doesn't have to have to have a major effect on the gameplay to be added to the game, there should still be some reason for me to enter their chamber.

Take 012 for example. Unless it's my first playthrough I'm not going to be entering its chamber at all since there's no reason to.

Now look at 895, even though the SCP itself has little use I still have to enter its chamber to prevent the live feed from displaying across all the site's monitors.

SCPs like 035 and 294 are also fine the way they are. You have to enter 035's chamber to get 148 or access the storage room full of goodies and 294 is fun to mess around with it.

But then there's SCPs like 008, 372, 513, and 1025 which are just there for the sack of being there. Yes, being able to find all these different SCPs can enhance the atmosphere of the game, but they should still offer a bit more then just 'This is 008, it slowly kills you.' 'This is 1025, it makes you sick or kills you.'

I might use Glitch's comments to make something different for the BoH.

Getting back on topic, if you want to code new features for the game, look for tutorials for game programming, they don't need to be specifically for Blitz3D. Knowing several programming languages will make learning new ones a bit easier, since they usually share some features.

The SCPs that I want to make mods for are 472 136 and 743 and a few others. I also would like to make improvements to the already existing mods that add 650 and 178.

I personally do have some ideas for uses for some of the currently non useful SCPs such as 1025. I agree that at least some of them need more uses.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!