[0.9.1] RoomMesh optimization (faster loading)

RoomMesh optimization

This mod doesn't change gameplay features, or add any new objects. Instead, it adds a new format for loading room meshes. This format is more efficient than the B3D files created by 3D World Studio; filesizes can be reduced to almost half of the original.

The loader for this format loads each texture only once, unlike the original loading system, which loads the same textures once for each mesh. This makes loading significantly faster.

This mod comes with a tool that will convert every B3D defined in "rooms.ini" to the new format. This tool can also reset the config file if you want to go back to the B3D format (use this to play mods that don't use this format).

No pics since no changes are visible.

Download
Get it with some bugfixes and optimizations:
http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3490

You'll probably notice that the GFX folder has increased in size by almost 30 MB once you run the conversion tool. This is because the converter doesn't delete the original meshes for obvious reasons. You can delete those manually if you really want to, but I recommend keeping them.

Please report any bugs you find, and I'll fix them as soon as possible.

Changelist:
Spoiler
0.9:
- Updated to v0.9
- Added fallback to B3D if rooms.ini still uses any
- Added support for texture-specific footstep sounds, this may or may not have any noticeable impact on performance
0.8.2:
- Initial Release
Last edited by juanjp600 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: [0.8.2] RoomMesh optimization (faster loading)

Juicy wrote:I'm getting memory access violations everytime I try to start a new game :C
Check if your "rooms.ini" file uses ".rmesh" files instead of ".b3d", and make sure there are ".rmesh" files in the GFX\map folder. If one of these is different, then the conversion process was not executed properly. If you still can't get it to work, I'll probably upload the whole .rmesh pack I could generate.