[Map Creator] HTA Map Creator

This is a custom map editor for SCP - Containment Breach. It features several new features and usability enhancements.

Current version: game 0.9, editor revision 0.
----

Features
Human-readable names and information on all rooms, to cut down on trial and error. The editor will show a detailed description for each room, including a list of hazards and items in the room, and what keycard level, if any, is needed to access the room. Note that these may contain mild spoilers about the game's endings.

Bonus features for working with room events. Room events have detailed descriptions stating what they do. Some rooms won't function properly unless their events are configured; their descriptions indicate this, and the editor contains options (that can be applied per-map) to verify that these rooms are set up properly.

Usability improvements. It is now possible to select rooms while still placing them. The editor will ask for confirmation before deleting a map. If you attempt to close the editor while unsaved changes exist, you will be given the opportunity to save your session, allowing you to pick up where you left off the next time you open the editor.

Inherently open-source, and completely free to edit. The editor is an HTA -- a web page that Internet Explorer runs with system privileges and local file access. This means that you can edit the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code directly, and you need only refresh (or close and reopen) the editor to see your changes. Metadata on rooms is defined in separate INI files for easy editing.

System requirements
Requires Internet Explorer 10. I can't test on older versions and will not support them.

Tested on Windows 7. I'll try to assist with any Windows 8-specific bugs to the best of my ability.

Downloading and installing
Click here to download the map editor.

Extract the "cobb-hta" folder inside the ZIP to the game's "Map Creator" folder. The final path to the editor should look something like this:

.../SCP - Containment Breach v0.8/Map Creator/cobb-hta/editor.hta

To run the map editor, browse to editor.hta and double-click it.

Changelist
Spoiler

Code: Select all

== GAME VERSION 0.9 -- EDITOR REVISION 0 ==
:: January 16, 2014

- The editor now supports content added in SCP - CB v0.9.

- Started work on a possible feature to verify whether maps are solveable. 
   I guarantee NOTHING.

== GAME VERSION 0.8.1 -- EDITOR REVISION 3 ==
:: October 10, 2013

- Bugfix: Rooms that have multiple suggested events now allow you to choose 
   which of those events to use, when the "Force suggested events" pref is 
   enabled.

- Bugfix: Removed some debug alerts shown when saving a map under a new name.

- The event for "SCP-008 Chamber" is now treated as required, and is added 
   automatically by the "Force needed events" pref.

== GAME VERSION 0.8.1 -- EDITOR REVISION 2 ==
:: October 9, 2013

- Bugfix: When you save a map to a new file, map-specific options applied to 
   the source map will now also apply to the new map.

== GAME VERSION 0.8.1 -- EDITOR REVISION 1 ==

- The following items are now listed properly. These items were found through 
   examination of the source code, and then verified in-game.

- Intro and SCP-173 Chambers
       - Class-D Orientation Leaflet
    - SCP-012 Chamber
       - Document SCP-012
    - SCP-049 Chamber
       - Document SCP-049
       - Level 4 Key Card
    - SCP-106 Chamber
       - Dr. Allok's Note
       - Level 4 Key Card
    - SCP-895 Chamber
       - Document SCP-895
    - SCP-914
       - Dr. L's Note (1)
    - Hallway, 2-Way, Nuke
       - Dr. L's Note (2)
    - Office, Large
       - Document

- The keycard requirements listed for entry to SCP-106 Chamber have been 
   corrected.

== GAME VERSION 0.8.1 -- EDITOR REVISION 0 ==

- The description for SCP-895's chamber now properly lists the Level 4 Key Card.

- The description for the Office, Large room no longer makes reference to Mobile 
   Task Force spawns. That information originally came from the wiki, and I have 
   seen nothing in examination of room event code OR viewing of Let's Plays to 
   support the claim that MTF forces specifically spawn in that room.

== GAME VERSION 0.8.0 -- EDITOR REVISION 1 ==
 - Selection of blank rooms is no longer broken.

- You can de-select a blank room by clicking it. You currently cannot de-select a 
   placed room through the same means; I need to rethink the design to find a way to 
   implement this.

- Editor's help text updated to reflect the above changes.

- When restoring a session, the map that was selected and in view when the session 
   was saved will be selected again for you when the editor loads.

- Data files updated to list the following items added in SCP - CB 0.8:
    - Blood-stained Note
    - Document SCP-513
    - Scorched Note
    - SCP-513

- Data files updated to correctly list keycard requirements for the following rooms:
    - Checkpoint, Light to Heavy
    - Checkpoint, Heavy to Office
    - SCP-513 Chamber (Cowbell)
To-do list
I need to create 200x100px thumbnails for each room type, to be shown when placing/selecting that room. The editor is already coded to display any that it can find.

I need to identify the precise functions of two events: "SCP-106 Spawn" (tunnel106) for "Hallway, 2-Way" (tunnel); and "Unknown Event" (room2trick) for "Hallway, 2-Way" (room2).

I have started to build a feature that determines whether a map is solveable, based on keycard availability. (It will break maps into node graphs with 1:1 mapping between rooms and nodes, and then merge nodes at non-keycard-secured doors between rooms.) I'm busy with real-life stuff so I guarantee nothing on this front, but I should try to get it done if I can.
Last edited by DavidJCobb on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 am, edited 7 times in total.

Re: [Map Creator] HTA Map Creator

That Same Anon wrote:I can't place any rooms, right click isn't working.
Weird.

What version of Internet Explorer and Windows are you using? (I probably should've mentioned -- only IE10 is supported at this time. I'm running Windows 7, but I'll try to assist with any bugs that might be W8-specific.)

Can you do me a favor and set Internet Explorer to "Display a notification about every script error", and then try it again? Please do let me know whether you see an error message (and if so, what it says).