[0.7.3]Alternative Blink + Stamina Mechanics

Given the somewhat recent discussion regarding the in-game HUD, I thought I'd write up a quick edit to the blink mechanics.

This mod takes the blur effect found when entering the pocket dimension, and makes use of it to replace the blink meter. The alpha/intensity of the blur overlay is represented by the logistic function ((cap) / (1 + e^(-0.8*(x-offset)))), where x is equal to ((BLINKFREQ - BlinkTimer)/(BLINKFREQ/10)). (I'll add some graphs later to make this easier to understand)

EDIT: Added stamina mechanic. Same-ish function, lower stamina = higher volume and frequency of breathing (heartbeats for now).
Currently heartbeats are used to simulate breathing frequency and volume. The current sound is a placeholder.

For testing purposes, the blink + stamina meters remains as they are in Euclid difficulty. If you wish to get a feel for the game without the meters, play on Keter difficulty.

Feel free to talk about any HUD related game mechanics.

EDIT: Added commands for testing.
'setcap #' sets the cap for the function, default = 0.80
'setoffset #' sets the offset for the blink function, default = 6.0
'sethoffset #' sets the offset for the heartbeat function, default = 6.0

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/?00ziwezxxz29kwf
Last edited by MonocleBios on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
M-x dingus-mode

Re: [0.7.3]Alternative Blink Mechanics

Very nice idea ! I always though this game shouldn't be played with a hud I even tried unchecking the HUD in the options and it worked really well except now with your mod it's much better and this game's atmosphere keep it's awesomness.
You could also add something for the stamina bar like a sound of the player breathing heavily when it's almost empty.
Oh and I just would like to tell you that in my opinion there is too much blur effect. You should divide the amount of blur by 2 that way I think it would be just good. And blinking should be as fast as normal without the blur effect still displayed on the screen.

Still good mod :)

Re: [0.7.3]Alternative Blink Mechanics

Sounds interesting, any chance you could implement heavier footsteps and breathing as the sprint bar goes down? That could completely negate the need for a HUD.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Re: [0.7.3]Alternative Blink + Stamina Mechanics

I really like that heartbeat sound. It just start too fast like the blur effect in my opinion.
But the heartbeat sound could play when there are some jumpscares. Just trigger them when the horror/jumpscare sound plays and it would work for 173, 106 and even the 106's victim falling from the ceilling.
EDIT: that would make sence since the game already add a bit of blur when there are some jumpscares.

Léonard wrote:I really like that heartbeat sound. It just start too fast like the blur effect in my opinion.
But the heartbeat sound could play when there are some jumpscares. Just trigger them when the horror/jumpscare sound plays and it would work for 173, 106 and even the 106's victim falling from the ceilling.
EDIT: that would make sence since the game already add a bit of blur when there are some jumpscares.
So its not that the final effect is too strong, but rather, it's noticeable too quickly?
M-x dingus-mode

MonocleBios wrote:
Léonard wrote:I really like that heartbeat sound. It just start too fast like the blur effect in my opinion.
So its not that the final effect is too strong, but rather, it's noticeable too quickly?
Yeah I mean it should be like this:
The less time left you have to blink, the stronger (but not too strong) the blur effect gets.
The less stamina you have, the faster (and maybe a bit stronger) the heartbeat gets.

For me, something like "setoffset 6.0" was exactly the effect I wanted.

Hey guys, I have this idea...
What's the comfortable blinking time for the average human? That's what the blinking rate should be set as.
But, as a human can stop blinking and stare, so should the player be able to, by pressing a button. The longer your eyes are open, the more fuzzy they get, and the faster the player struggles to press the key to keep the eyes open. But, alas, when the inevitable blinking occurs, the rate should be faster for a few seconds.

Same with sprint. You can go past a limit by rapidly pressing a key, but, when you stop, you are more worn out. Adrenaline rush, one might say.
Also, blinking should be mitigated to a different key, and a jump function should be added. Pocket dimension platforming, no?

Ugh, I don't feel well today, as I am typing like Red from Penumbra. Heh?

So whaddya' think?
[SCP-076] "Able"
[SCP-127] "The Living Gun"
[SCP-212] "The Improver"
[SCP-303] "The Doorman"
[SCP-1162] "A Hole in the Wall"