Re: Multiplayer mod - UNRELEASED

Oh, that is marvelous. But still, there is no point in getting our hopes up. If the mod is finished, great. If its not, no big deal, it was no one's responsibility to make it. And considering the last year and a half(I think), that I have followed this thread, there is a very low probability that this project will be completed, as it has been noted by the awesome people that took this task upon themselves: it would be easier to rewrite the game.
I'm still a bit excited about this mod and I would love to contribute, but I lack the knowledge to do so, I have yet to learn computer science. But when I do, and if this mod has yet to be released, I'll help. For now, to the people still working on this: thank you, take your time.

Catnipbuddy wrote:Too bad they couldn't afford anything else other then BlitzBasic... Other wise this would probably be done by now.
<rant>
First of all, who is this "they" you are talking about? If it's juanjpro or any mod author, then they don't really have a choice of what language to use for modding the game. The game is coded in Blitz3D, which was only recently made free in September or something.
Second, Regalis had to buy a copy of Blitz when he started making games (SCP-087-B) The lack of funding is not why the game was programmed in Blitz, it is simply because it was a language that Regalis was pretty good with, and he made a game with it. People liked it, and they stuck with Blitz because it was what he had started with. I don't think Regalis thought that this game would get as big as it has. Now, we've reached a point where the game and the community behind it can't be supported by an engine made in 2001 I think. It has very limited support for newer Windows computers and no support for Mac and Linux. That's why there's not much work being done here. It's due to the engine being inefficient for the tasks at hand, and it's just simply more efficiant to port the game to a different engine, then set up a multiplayer mod with that engine, which is why juanjpro isn't really as active with this project. (If you want to see the engine port, it's stickied to the top of the collaboration forum.) Sorry if I'm completely wrong about something here,
Nightscout01
</rant>

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you look back a few pages, you'll notice that Juan announced that--due to performance issues and B3d limitations--he's decided to do this as part of his Irrlicht port of the game instead, which should be much quicker.

However, he released some of his source code in case anyone else wanted to try to implement it in the current B3d version of the game.

RancidBuffalo wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you look back a few pages, you'll notice that Juan announced that--due to performance issues and B3d limitations--he's decided to do this as part of his Irrlicht port of the game instead, which should be much quicker.

However, he released some of his source code in case anyone else wanted to try to implement it in the current B3d version of the game.
Oh okay. And once again a bit of a newbie to the frums, but what does Irrlicht mean?

Okay, im back :)

Let me explain the situation a bit. Me and Juan were working on the mod and it was going pretty well. It was starting to get quite playable, although still needed a ton of work. Also, we both had other things to do and mp mod wasn't our priority. Day by day we had less time for it till the moment when we had none. Everytime I looked at the code it seemed weird. There were some dirty workarounds, unclear "magic". I decided to rewrite it from scratch but had no time (yeah, I have personal life, sorry guys...).

Last week I had few free days and I decided to finally start it. Properly this time. I found a nice networking library called "Enet", wrote blitz3d userlib (those who know how whats that know that it's a real pain in the ass). Anyway, I managed to get networking OUTSIDE of b3d using C++ (yay). C++ beats b3d at every possible category... I decided to write as much as I can with C++ and only hook it a bit with b3d. However, this useless engine gave me no chance to do that. Im still forced to use b3d but at least the networking code is done by external .dll, which will speed up things a lot.

In the meantime I got a job, so it really don't have free time now :/ Also, juan started his irrlicht port and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better if I just wait for it and then implement it... Ah, I'm also affected by the "missing items" bug...

I don't know what I'm going to do next... If I find more time then I'll try to finish the mod on blitz3d engine.